Tuesday, 21 April 2009

Jin Shin What?

Very often one of the biggest stumbling blocks I come across when I explain this wonderful Ancient Healing Art is the name. The reaction I gave when I first heard about it was 'Jin Shin What?' And it took me at least two years into my studies to spell it correctly (joke...but actually no, true). There is also the subtletly of the pronunciation - continuous discussions in class which have brought up the differences.

For instance. When I first came across Jin Shin Jyutsu I discovered that it was pronounced as jin shin jitsu (jitsoo) - but subsequently I realised (or maybe it just took me 8 years to HEAR this bit of information in class, as often happens) that the pronunciation of Jin Shin Jyutsu as jin shin jitsu, or jin shin jutsu (jootsoo) have very different meanings indeed. As far as I understand it, Jitsu means Technique and Jutsu means Art.

So The Art of the Creator through the Man of Knowing and Compassion - Over the last 10 years I have observed that people call this Art different things depending on where they are at in their UNDERSTANDING of it. It's very interesting. Not surprising that for a long time I called it just Jin Shin. Any comments on this?

2 comments:

Sally Joyce said...

Yes I remember the stages of calling it Jin Shin. Now I must call it Jin Shin Jyutsu® to give it the respect that it deserves. Now the complete name rolls of my tongue easily and commands the respect and attention of the others who hear it. I have also gotten into the habit of identifying it, in type, with the ® as a way of honoring those who brought it to me.

Anonymous said...

I only can speak from Martial Arts.

the term "jitsu" is the old transcription for "jutsu" so its the same word, meaning "technique" ort "art" (in meaning of "an artfull skill").

The Samurai learned different styles of techniques (jutsu) with the goal to kill the opponent or at least make him unable to fight any longer.

Therefor this artfull techniques (jutsu) were violent and not suitable as a sport.

So later the martial technique skills (jutsu) got a modern background with more philosophical and spiritual aspects.

From this point of view the martial technique (jutsu) turned into a path for self-development and personal growth (this path or "way" is called "do" in Japanese).
Unfortunately meanwhile lot of "do" only have a social educating function and no spiritual element. its replaced by sportive competitions


So for example "jujutsu" turned into "Judo" (the "gentle/soft way").

Unfortunately meanwhile lot of "do" only have a social educating function and no spiritual element. its replaced by sportive competitions

Of course thats only related to martial arts, but maybe it helps

regards

Tenshin